An Ancient Temple but renovated in 1780 A. D. by Shri Wadiye from Kumbarjuvem on behalf of his mother-in-law, Smt. Savitri Kamat, widow of Shri Narayan Kamat.

Presiding Deity : Shri Nagesh Maharudra. Other Deities : Shri Laxmi Narayan and  Shri Ganapati.

Important Festivals : On every Monday evening, the procession of Shri Nagesh in shibika till 09:30 pm., Shri Laxmi Narayan on every Dashmi, and  Shri Ganapati on every fourth day of each month (Vinayaki) in the same manner except in the Chatur mas.  

Darshan Seva : The consultation of oracle is made by placing boiled rice grains to the pindika on the days except Mondays, Ekadashi, Amavasya and all festival days.

Kulavis : This is an ancient Kuladevata temple of GSBs belonging to Kaushik Gotra (Surnames: Nayak, Shanbhag, Shenai, Rao, Kelkar etc), Vatsa Gotra (Surnames: Pai, Kamat, Kamath, Shenvi, Mallya, Kaikini, Asgekar etc.) and Bharadwaj Gotra (Prabhu). In addition the families of Dhempo and Gharse are also worshippers.

Journey Details : Located at Bandiwade or Antruz Mahal. Situated on Pharmagudi-Kavalem-Ponda road about 800 meters from Pharmagudi, 26.2 kms. from Panaji on Panaji-Belgaum Highway.

Nearby Interesting places : The surroundings are encircled by ranges of hills on the three sides, and the river Aghanashini flows on the fourth side. A rivulet flows round the year through the heart of the village on its either side. One can see the dark green fields. There are number of springs found in several places in the surrounding hills with areca plantations. The temple is facing west and in front is the temple tank. The water here is ever flowing and is clean. "Pillar of Shri Mangesh, Dome of Shri Shantadurga, Tank of Shri Nagesh, Square of Shri Mahalasa  and Gana of Shri Kamakashi", this is a popular saying in Goa. The temple of Shri Jagdamba Mahalaxmi is just 300 metres away.

History : Shri Nagesh Temple is a "Swayambhu" shrine of Lord Shankar known for its miraculous myths. The history is not available at present, except a reference in the folk songs. The environs known as Nagzar had in the past a grove of Shami trees. As the legend goes  a cow-boy noticed that a cow from his herd used to visit the place regularly and showered milk. This led to the discovery of Shivlinga. A distinctive feature of Devasthan is that it was unaffected by the religious persecution of Portuguese rulers in the 16th Century. This was because at that time Antruj of Ponda Mahal was not under the domain of the Portuguese power and this facilitated the transits of Saraswat deities Shri Nagesh, Shantadurga, Ganapati etc. to Antruz & Bhatagram (Dicholi). In the compound of the Devastan, there is an inscription, which is an undisputed document about the antiquity of this temple. It relates to a gift of Lands named after 'Vedakhandikechem Kulagar', 'Nagzri Mallo, paddy field & 'Ruvo Kulagar' in favour of the deities of Shri Nagesh & Shri Mahalaxmi for sevas on Kartik Poornima by Shri Mayeen Shenvi Wagle, an officer of the kingdom, in the year 1413 A.D. or 1335 Saka, during the rule of King Veer Pratap Devaraya of Vijay Nagar. At that time, Shri Nanjan Gosavi was the Governor of Goa. In those days the deity was known as Nagnath, as stated in a copper plate, bearing the year 1229 Saka, found in Savai Verem. One stone idol of Uma - Mahesh & one of Ganesh have been found in the compound of the temple. From the style of the sculpture the Archaeologists are of the opinion that they belong to the Seventh and Eighth century respectively. Therefore, it is beyond doubt that the temple existed here even before the Seventh Century.   

(More for Darshan Seva)


Bandiwade - Ponda, Goa - 403401. Tel. : (0832) 335039.